In response to the complaint of white writers about writing about people of color: “Damned if you do. Damned if you don’t,” I want to say: absolutely.
It’s absolutely true. You’re damned either way. If you don’t do it, you’re a racist. Yes, you are. Race and racism exist in this society, and if you ignore them, you’re expressing a racial privilege that you don’t, morally, have any right to. That’s a subtle form of racism.
If you do do it and get it “wrong”, you’ll get reamed, and rightfully so. It’s presumptuous of you to think that you have the right to represent a culture you don’t belong to if you can’t be bothered to properly examine and accurately portray that culture.
Further, if you do it and get it “right”, or rather, don’t get it wrong, you’ll still get reamed by members of that culture you’ve represented who rightfully resent a white writer’s success representing their culture. After all, every American ethnic minority has its writers: good and bad. The good writers are mostly ignored. Inevitably, some white writer will come along and do a bang-up job portraying that culture and will get—in one book, in one section of a book—more attention than the poc writer got over the course of three or five or ten books.
You’re a white writer trying to do the right thing, but no matter what you do, it’s wrong. And that’s so unfair to you, isn’t it?
Welcome to a tiny taste of what it’s like to be a person of color.
Oh, and quit complaining.
- find-the-light-in-the-darkness reblogged this from yahighway
- tokenindianchild reblogged this from dederants
- woman-with-tea reblogged this from valeria2067
- thatgreenbloodedhobgoblin likes this
- nestofstraightlines likes this
- bookishbiologist reblogged this from metteivieharrison
- workfornow reblogged this from mydwynter
- unironicallyardentnerd reblogged this from valeria2067
- melredcap likes this
- theprofessorstrikesagain likes this
- 0jack reblogged this from mydwynter
- aprillikesthings likes this
- mugenmine likes this
- percygranger reblogged this from porcupine-girl
- perferbly-fictional likes this
- revenantremains reblogged this from herdearboswell
- herdearboswell reblogged this from porcupine-girl
- shinysherlock likes this
- porcupine-girl reblogged this from mydwynter
- peninsulamamoenam likes this
- fffinnagain likes this
- mydwynter reblogged this from valeria2067
- textvsromance likes this
- jacquiarno likes this
- land-of-cod reblogged this from sleepyteadrinker
- myrnakj86 likes this
- lady-noms likes this
- gardnerhill reblogged this from valeria2067
- sherlockedinchina reblogged this from badwolf-marvelite
- sherlockedinchina likes this
- rooyoo reblogged this from valeria2067
- rooyoo likes this
- im-beheaded-atleastiwas-wedded reblogged this from severalghostbats
- im-beheaded-atleastiwas-wedded likes this
- unpublishedfanfiction reblogged this from valeria2067
- weepingstonecoldstatue likes this
- kagoashes reblogged this from valeria2067
- castiel-withashotgun reblogged this from can-i-get-paid-for-fangirling
- magic-samwitch reblogged this from valeria2067
- can-i-get-paid-for-fangirling reblogged this from valeria2067
- bkeyser likes this
- secret-h reblogged this from valeria2067
- secret-h likes this
- sleepyteadrinker reblogged this from johnhwhatson
- makarchi likes this
- kiss-cas-fall-in-love likes this
- badwolf-marvelite reblogged this from valeria2067
- badwolf-marvelite likes this
- pennamepersona likes this